Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently September 22nd, 2024, 3:52 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: March 21st, 2008, 12:23 am 
Rank 6: Potent White Mage Rank 6: Potent White Mage

Level 0

Dudes, it is far too deep into the modern era to get trapped by the archaic tradition of monogamy.

Forget culture, forget tradition, forget expectations, cause like it or not you are male animals.

Remember that.

Dudes.

Seriously.

Period.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2008, 1:40 am 
Rank 2: Eager White Mage Rank 2: Eager White Mage
Smile after the calm.

Level 0

I have a few words on that...

AIDS, GENITAL WARTS, HEPITITIS C.

Good thing it's from the unrealistic point of view. :lol

PostPosted: March 21st, 2008, 2:09 am 
Rank 2: Eager White Mage Rank 2: Eager White Mage

Level 0

I'm a male, and I'm all for Monogamy. not because of culture or tradition either.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2008, 2:24 am 
Rank 3: Studying Black Mage Rank 3: Studying Black Mage
The Greatest Person Ever

Level 0

Polygamy itself is also archaic. Several religions used to and some still practice it. So with your logic we also have to get rid of your insinuation of multiple partners. However, I am all for getting rid of polygamy so that would be good on my part. Bummer, that no one can procreated after this... :(

PostPosted: March 21st, 2008, 6:28 am 
Rank 12: Headstrong Fighter Rank 12: Headstrong Fighter
Statistical Magus

Level 0

Anonymous (Bo) wrote:
Dudes, it is far too deep into the modern era to get trapped by the archaic tradition of monogamy.

Forget culture, forget tradition, forget expectations, cause like it or not you are male animals.

Remember that.

Dudes.

Seriously.

Period.

I suspect you were drunk when you typed this.

noone asked you to tell us what to forget, and i find your 'dudes, the modern era demands that you, liek, OPEN UP YOUR MINDS LIKE WHOA' speech too hilarious for words.

how about I just do, like, what I want, and laugh my ass off at your posturing in the process.

liek, period, dudes.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2008, 10:55 am 

Level 0

@KumoShinagi

You don't get those from kissing, making out, or other types of physical/spiritual behavior that monogamy tends to stunt. Yours are valid reasons with respect to sex, but you can get those from any girlfriend that has an ex-boyfriend or girlfriend. So are you going to test HER before commiting exclusively?

@Valkysas
I wish you well.

@Jamos
I didn't say polygamy per se as the alternative. True, not commiting to one implies you go for many, but I am suggesting more to not define the type of relationship. Maybe I should rephrase. Monogamy is not so much archaic as the expectation of monogamy, or the expectation of forever, or the idea that monogamy-good, not monogamy-bad. My point is to look to yourself, INCLUDING, what you don't talk about at parties in polite conversation, and decide why not to be true to it.

@Regal
"too hilarious for words"

Then why are you commenting? (typical)

Last edited by AnonymousBo on March 21st, 2008, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2008, 10:59 am 
Statistical Magus

Level 0

turn of phrase, Dude.

i'll refrain from being cliched in future, since it seems to confuse you.

Dude.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2008, 11:01 am 

Level 0

Regal wrote:
turn of phrase, Dude.

i'll refrain from being cliched in future, since it seems to confuse you.

Dude.

It doesn't confuse me. I simply am tired of you asserting that everyone else is posturing, posing wise words, etc. as though you are not doing the same. We are all doing it. THAT IS HOW WE COMMUNICATE. You seem to have a problem with it.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2008, 11:17 am 
Statistical Magus

Level 0

haha, am I annoying you?

as far as my (and everyone's) alleged pretension goes, i'm not the one making threads about how 'we should all cast aside our animalistic predispositions to such and such'.

if everyone postures a little, fair enough. you however take it to new and comical heights when you start preaching polygamy to us and posing as a barstool guru.

if you're tired of my assertions, stop validating them. ^_^

oh, and ofc it's not everyone i make such assertions about, though i nearly didn't notice you'd slipped the word in there. Ofc i don't go around pinning everyone to the wall with sharpened stereotype.

I guess i'd better make it clear; it's just you, Dude. Perhaps you're just an easy target.

=D

PostPosted: March 21st, 2008, 11:35 am 

Level 0

@Regal

-Yes, you are annoying me.

-You don't have to be the one to make threads, all you have to do is post in it, and rather than say, "People, I'd like to talk to you about a subject of great importance called monogamy..." I said what I felt. I will assert that you know as well as I (debater) that just because I look or am pretensious does not mean you are not. You simply are using a slight of hand with respect to your own self.

-Really, "new heights", in an opinion post? In MY opinion post? If you don't like it, why not change the channel. I know, I know, because I am so comical that it is just to funny. Fine I am a clown. But I do bite my thumb sir.

-"if you're tired of my assertions, stop validating them. ^_^"
I'm jacking off right now this quote is so clever!

-I don't understand what you are referring to as far as slipping "the word" or regarding the sharpened stereotype.

-A tear drops my bullseye. Now THAT's clever!

PostPosted: March 21st, 2008, 11:56 am 
Statistical Magus

Level 0

lawl, you've cracked.

I suspect you've missed my intial point. i'm not telling you how to live your life. i don't really care too much how you live your life.

if you want to talk about pretension, feel free. it's not really the point i was noting in the first place, however.

i was noting in the first place that i find it funny that you felt this need to tell us all what to discard and forget.

I don't force you to live life my way. i don't even tell you to.

for some reason you're making threads telling us what to think, not think, forget... that is the difference in degree of pretension between us; it leads you to dispense this worldly wisdom to us by the dogmatic shovel.

And as for changing the channel, well, no. you want me to leave you alone to make YOUR opinion posts?

hehe, i'm inclined to say 'make me' =D

I ROCK YOUR BARSTOOL!!!1

XD

Last edited by Regal on March 21st, 2008, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2008, 11:57 am 
Rank 5: Nimble Thief Rank 5: Nimble Thief

Level 26

@Bo - Sure thing Benvolio.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2008, 12:16 am 

Level 0

So anyways, has anyone here ever cheated, and if so, why would you if you happen to be someone who values monogamy?

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2008, 3:25 pm 
Rank 4: Fighter in Training Rank 4: Fighter in Training

Level 0

I'm for monogamy, but then again I like some consistency to my life. I like to have a calm center of order in the middle of an otherwise chaotic outer. Plus I think that you can have a deeper bond with a person if they are the only one you focus on, whereas I think the feeling is diminished with multiple partners.

Also many people live happily in monogamy. Sure 50% of marriages fail, but you know what, that means 50% also succeed. So certainly monogamy is not for everyone, and some people are good at being able to juggle multiple relationships at equal levels and deal with the added drama that comes with it.

As for the male animals deal, should we also abandon our buildings and modern plumbing, and *gasp* interwebs since they are not important in the hunter gather sense of the word. Should we kill all of those that are weaker than us to ensure survival of the race, while multiplying like bunnies. So why we are certainly not beyond our instincts, and likely never will be, Reasoning is one of our instincts (and I believe the key to our survival, as physically we really don't excel in the animal kingdom), one I think we often forget when we claim that we are using reasoning to rise above our instincts.

Also if you visit any college campus I think you'll find it's polygamy that is overrated, or I guess just full on casual sex. And lord save you if you're a virgin, obviously you must be a freak to not be joining in the fun :p. All depends on your environment as to which is more prevelant and stressed.

Oh and as for the question, no, but then again I haven't had anyone to cheat on, but even if I did I would not cheat, if I did not feel like the person I was with was who I wanted to be with, I would break up with them. I would rather do that than lie to and betray the person I was with.

http://www.thetruecoolness.com
Are you prepared? Do you believe in the Coolness? Well either way check it out.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2008, 3:35 pm 
The Greatest Person Ever

Level 0

I'd rather have just one woman pissed off at me. One is difficult enough to manage. :o

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2008, 5:34 pm 
H2SO4

Level 0

Polygamy (or any "alternative" to monogamy, for that matter) waters down and weakens any sort of romantic relationship between two people. I'd rather only have one special someone with whom I can share all my love with, rather than multiple, because I know i wouldn't treat them equally and they probably wouldn't treat me equally either.

87% of statistics are made up on the spot.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2008, 8:59 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

Quote:
Also many people live happily in monogamy. Sure 50% of marriages fail, but you know what, that means 50% also succeed.

This cannot be assumed. How many of that 50% are dangerously close to divorcing and how many are just putting up with each other? I think if it was just "happy" marriages, the number would be much lower.

I mean, people talk about 50% like it's a good thing. Russian Roulette has a better chance of not killing you than a marriage has in not ending in a divorce (a financial murder of a man).

To the topic, I believe that monogamy has lost its purpose in westernized countries. Every single advantage of marriage for men to get married has been stripped away viciously.

Here's the advantages of marriage for men before the widespread feminism:

1. Sex
a. Used to be considered a consistent stream of sex.
b. You can get this outside of wedlock now.

2. Long-term Companionship
a. Used to be a lifelong companion
b. Not guaranteed with a divorce waiting around the corner.

3. Kids
a. The surest way to make sure your kids were your own kids.
b. Women have no shame and f*ck around. No telling if she's telling the truth. Some did it back then, but the community rightfully shamed them for being harlots.

4. Cooking and Cleaning
a. Men didn't used to cook or clean regularly.
b. Women don't cook or clean anymore. So men do it themselves.

Here's all the disadvantages of marriage (with an western woman):

1. Everything is a man's fault
2. No-to-little sex after a while (cause: wedding cake)
3. Wife gets fat
4. Can't discipline your woman without a million manginas jumping in
5. 1-in-2 chance of ending in divorce

Bo, as far as I'm concerned, you can make whatever topics you like.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2008, 9:51 pm 
Rank 4: Fighter in Training Rank 4: Fighter in Training

Level 0

You're a funny guy Ix, I'm honestly not sure how to respond to your views on women other than to say they are extreme at best.

So while it is true the 50% might not be all happy, how many divorces end badly? (Some end fine, especially when there aren't kids involved and the divorce is mutually wanted). Monogamy isn't always about one woman forever, but one at a time (well in my definition anyway, which I guess would be 'modern').

Now we don't have statistics on how many 3 or more way relationships fail, but I would imagine it is a high percentage, but that's because I think someone always ends up as a third wheel. I just don't think it's better for us as a society to promote the idea that sex should be free and rampant and with anyone you want, screw relationships those are outdated. Not sure these are great conditions to raise kids (of course neither are fighting parents and divorces but eh).

But out of Polygamy, Monogamy and total chaos (relationship-wise) I think I'll stick with monogamy, having an intimate relationship with one person at a time is good enough for me.

And Ix I think you missed the point that a good relationship should be with someone you grow to become friends with, not just some random woman/man so a lot of your generalized disadvantages become moot at that point. Also I don't see cooking and cleaning as an advantage, I would be doing that on my own anyway so as long as it becomes shared that would be good enough for me. I don't need or want a maid. I know your views on women aren't likely to change but I do hope you realize how silly some of them are, and how many apply to men just as equally. I know the woman supposedly took the first bite of the apple but they're not all devils.

I do agree with you on the long term commitment, but really I think we all fool ourselves into thinking that any relationship will last forever. People change, situations change, and a lot of times it doesn't make sense to have as strong of a relationship with someone at that point. So I think maybe the problem with marriage is the contract is only paper now and not an actual bond like it used to be, and a lot of times one party gets the shaft in the divorce, which is not how it should be.

As for the kids thing, I really doubt that is very rampant, and certainly more of a guarantee in a monogamous relationship than another kind. Also I think basketball players are the perfect counterexample to your claim it's only women.

http://www.thetruecoolness.com
Are you prepared? Do you believe in the Coolness? Well either way check it out.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2008, 11:55 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

That's fine. When I was like you, I would have said the exact same thing to me.

When you get to the level I'm on, however, it's like having a superpower.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2008, 12:27 am 
Rank 9: Mischievous Thief Rank 9: Mischievous Thief
King of Heroes

Level 53

I honestly don't care what any of you do. It's not my life and your style probably isn't my style.

Anyway, to address the topic, what's so wrong with monogamy? Is it to much of a settled lifestyle for you? Does being committed to one scare you? To be honest, I like the idea of monogamy. A person you love an trust that you commit your life to and know/believe they will do the same. It's less to worry about and it creates a strong foundation for a family. I honestly don't know what you're into, Bo, but it would've been better if you made the suggestion allowing options rather than just telling us to forget. The way you presented the topic, you came off as a douchebag. The presentation of the opinion could've been better.

As far as Ix's comment goes... well, you and I have been over this sh*t many times in the past, so you know what I think, but I feel like putting in my two cents. Women, like men, are immature, espeically in their younger years (from teens to early adulthood), though some are immature even twhen they're older. A lot of people don't know what they want, or they do, just the types of people they want rub off the wrong way. I think you get too upset over the fact that when you were the man you used to be, women didn't give a sh*t or went after the opposite of what they said they wanted. Well, it happens. As far as the items you listed, it's too much of a pessimistic view of relationships/marriage. And a woman to do all the cooking and cleaning? That's a little much. What if you both work? You expect her to do everything? That's just not fair. You have to give a little to get a little. You can argue me all day, but in the end, we both stand on different sides of the line.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next