Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently September 22nd, 2024, 5:18 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
PostPosted: July 27th, 2007, 4:48 pm 
Rank 3: Studying Black Mage Rank 3: Studying Black Mage
H2SO4

Level 0

Throughout the history of mankind, humans have created numorous gods and entities that were believed to be greater than themselves, even today, the vast majority of the world believes there is something out there that is greater then themselves.

Being a Christian, I believe there is a god. I believe there is one god, and that he is a loving, just god who created everything. I believe that God sent his son Jesus Christ to save us, and that whoever believes in him will not die but live forever.

Why do I believe this? I guess I'd have to say because God has "shown-up" in my life numerous times. I read the bible, and value it greatly, but I don't attribute my faith to words, I believe because God has made himself real to me in hard times.

Anyway, enough about me, what do you think? Is god real?

87% of statistics are made up on the spot.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2007, 5:04 pm 
Rank 5: Nimble Thief Rank 5: Nimble Thief

Level 26

He's only as real in a persons life as they believe him to be. For me, he is very real. A friend, confidant, brother/sister.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2007, 5:59 pm 
Rank 6: Potent White Mage Rank 6: Potent White Mage

Level 0

I don't know.

But I can tell you this:

At one time I knew that God was real.
Now, I do not know that God is real.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2007, 6:36 pm 
Rank 10: Cute Lil White Mage Rank 10: Cute Lil White Mage
At the Scumm Bar

Level 50

"I can't answer that, who do you think I am, God!?" :P

Anyway, I really don't want to question if God is real or not.
Obviously, I don't have the answer.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2007, 7:44 pm 
Heh, "user avatar"

Level 0

(Opinion forum, right?)

No. Absolutely not.

Why do I think he has shown up so much throughout history? Because humans need something to believe in. They need to know there is something greater than themselves, that there is a savior who is always going to be there for them. They need something to cling to in desperate times. Most people suffer from a chronicle lack of willpower and having something to really believe in fills in for that lack. I think like this because there were some very desperate times in my life in which I really wanted something to believe in. Times which would have been much less harder if I had a loving and caring confident like the christian God.

That's just my opinion, and I'm not that willing to discuss it, because everyone knows, discussing religion with religious people is kinda pointless =P It's really a matter of belief.

I don't believe in god, I'm an atheist to the end.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2007, 8:25 pm 
Rank 9: Mischievous Thief Rank 9: Mischievous Thief
King of Heroes

Level 53

Yes.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2007, 8:30 pm 
King of Heroes

Level 53

The Gnasher wrote:
(Opinion forum, right?)

No. Absolutely not.

Why do I think he has shown up so much throughout history? Because humans need something to believe in. They need to know there is something greater than themselves, that there is a savior who is always going to be there for them. They need something to cling to in desperate times. Most people suffer from a chronicle lack of willpower and having something to really believe in fills in for that lack. I think like this because there were some very desperate times in my life in which I really wanted something to believe in. Times which would have been much less harder if I had a loving and caring confident like the christian God.

That's just my opinion, and I'm not that willing to discuss it, because everyone knows, discussing religion with religious people is kinda pointless =P It's really a matter of belief.

I don't believe in god, I'm an atheist to the end.

sh*t man, the f*cking people of the United States depend on the government and the media to decide everything for them and tell them what to do. I would guess about 8% of Americans actually f*cking think for themselves. Most people don't even have the f*cking gall to stand up to this oppressive sh*t government that is taking us over. Forget God for the moment. God was destroyed from American culture long ago when we decided to go for a completely secular nation. Now days, Christians are those looked at weird (well, the ones passionate about Christ and stuff). But in all honesty, I don't give a f*ck people believe in God or not. it's their choice. Whatever happens in the end, happens. We don't know. Just stick to your guns and live how you wish to live. I'll believe in the creator.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2007, 8:56 pm 
Rank 3: Studying Black Mage Rank 3: Studying Black Mage
H2SO4

Level 0

I confused as to how what you said had anything to do with Gnasher's post. But yes, I agree, america is going down a bumpy downward slope. And I agree in the persons right to shoose. I believe in freedom of religion, and wouldn't object to anyone else's beliefs, that doesn't mean I think their beliefs are correct, just that I'd allow them to believe them.

Gnasher raises a good point though, one that I believe is a massive argument against Christianity, or any religion for that matter. Most of us can agree that Zeus and the rest of the greek gods are not real, so why were they created? For possibly the same reason out modern day "gods" have been "created", for comfort and reliance.

I believe the only evidence to prove God exists is a personal evidence, something that may prove God exists to one person and not another. The evidence I have for believing in God are the ways he has influenced and "shown-up" in my life. That's not evidence to anyone but myself, they have to find their own evidence.

^taken from a similar discussion at the pav^

87% of statistics are made up on the spot.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2007, 9:11 pm 
King of Heroes

Level 53

Well, it's correlation with Gnasher's post is the fact that people need something "greater than themselves" to be their savior. It's like how the people depend on loser sh*t politicians to take care of them. That's what my point was supposed to be.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2007, 11:47 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Of course there is.

And it's not because I need something to cling to in desparation. In fact, I've been doing well for a while now so that kind of discredits that. Though I respect your opinion, Gnasher.

I believe in God because of the blessings in my life. But even with those blessings gone, there would be too much conviction for me to deny Him being there. AT THE VERY LEAST it's alwaly good to believe in something. Also, I'd like to think there is something after death.

I've lived my life according to what I believe... and things have gone quite well. And I think Him for it.

I don't go to church all that often... that's partial due to the fact that I really don't like how any churches run. They seem too worried about the petty things like how the music should be sung, or the name of the building, ect. Seems to me like they are kind of missing the point here. So I pretty much build my relationship with God on a one-on-one basis. And my life has benifitted ever since...

PostPosted: July 28th, 2007, 2:18 am 

Level 0

This all depends on what you mean by 'real'. If god 'really' existed in your imagination but no where in the physical world (or no where else in the physical world if the imagination is part of the physical world) then he/she/it as an imaginary entity can give you all the things that keep you FEELING blessed/loved/positive about life/optimistic, etc. but it need not be evidence that your God exists anywhere outside your mind.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2007, 2:48 am 
Rank 8: Adept Fighter Rank 8: Adept Fighter

Level 73

Yes, I do believe in God

Why? Because he has helped me in many times of hardships, and has given me many blessings.

I'm not a really religious person, but I do believe in God.

But, I respect everyone's opinion in here, and agree with Gnasher on the fact that it is no use to debate religion, no one ever wins or loses.

1) Statement 2 is true
2) Statement 1 is false

PostPosted: July 28th, 2007, 10:43 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

I understand what you are getting at, Bo. And it's true... it's hard to find physical evidence of a greater being. The only thing I can offer in responce is very little, but here it is never the less.

Everyone knows the sun is burning out. Slowly but surely the sun will die off some thousands of years down the road. It is also knows that if the sun was only a fraction of the distance closer to earth, the earth would not be able to sustain life.

If you were to calculate how much of the sun's heat it would have given off 65000000 years ago, the earth would be nothing more than a tiny dense rock of charred nothing.

There are other bit's of info such as this... but I'd rather believe in him through faith instead of fact. It's like not trusting a friend when he gives you his word.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2007, 3:20 am 
Rank 12: Headstrong Fighter Rank 12: Headstrong Fighter
PSN/XBL: KaiserSosate

Level 0

If gods not real I can basically do anything I want without any type of consequences.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2007, 11:36 am 

Level 0

Agentsix wrote:
If gods not real I can basically do anything I want without any type of consequences.

That's not true. There would still be social consequences (like unacceptance/fines/imprisonment) and physical consequences (like poor health/injury/or death) but true there would not be consequences involving an afterlife (like purgatory/hell).

PostPosted: August 1st, 2007, 1:50 pm 
Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

I dunno. He certainly hasn't made himself known to me. I'll say that he has helped me live a healthy life so far (I'm deathly afraid of serious illness), but mostly because I'm afraid that if he is real and I decide he hasn't helped me out at all, he'd suddenly let me get really sick or seriously hurt just to prove that he is real and he was responsible for my fortunate health.

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]