Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently September 22nd, 2024, 1:31 pm
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: February 27th, 2013, 11:46 pm 
Rank 3: Studying Black Mage Rank 3: Studying Black Mage

Level 23

How to describe this? Umm...

Breathtakingly awful?

Mind-numbingly boring?

Man, Prometheus is looking better and better. It's a bastion of cinematic fun compared to the stuff I've been seeing lately.

The first time old Joe comes on the scene and starts talking to young Joe, my immediate thought was, "Well shouldn't this guy know how everything turns out? He's already been through the entire movie as young Joe. He should remember the whole thing." That's the problem with these time travel tales. You could just travel to the future and find out how everything turns out. So you have to invent some dopey rule for your fantasy that says "Well, old Joe can't remember anything because he's in a state of flux and [insert moronic garbage here]." Incidentally I'm reminded of a game I wanted to make where the character can travel forward and backward in time. While planning it out in my head, the same problem was arrived at. Why not just go to the future, find out how everything turned out, and come back with a laundry list of everything you need to do? After all, if you successfully fixed whatever went awry in the present, the future will reflect that outcome. At the time I was working on that, I invented an equally dopey rule. "The future reflects the present, so it would be a future based on the current present." And I'm now realizing that it makes absolutely no sense. So much for my time travel game.

The ending of this movie suffers from the same paradox as the ending of Timecop. Young Joe kills himself, therefore old Joe no longer exists. Slicker 'n snot, right? Well, no. Old Joe must exist because he traveled back in time and provoked young Joe into killing himself. Therefore, after young Joe shoots himself, he continues to exist and not exist at the same time and in the same relationship. He is Schroedinger's Cat. Somehow, magically, for anything to make sense, young Joe must continue to exist and become old Joe. Yet, at the same time and in the same relationship he doesn't exist at all.

Gotta love time travel, eh?

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2013, 7:43 pm 
Rank 7: Learned Black Mage Rank 7: Learned Black Mage
Noblesse Oblige

Level 43

your review is based on your own personal theory of time travel and you are being entirely unfair to it. i have my own theories as well, but yours nor mine nor anybody else's have ever been proven correct, and likely never will. the best you can do is review it based on the theory that the movie (or any other piece of entertainment, for that matter) actually uses.

as far as generally accepted time travel theories go, this one is using a mixture of multiverse and single timeline theories.

try using your theories on excellent pieces of entertainment from the past, such as the great Chrono Trigger, and see how well accepted your bullsh*t is.

tldr this is one of the worst reviews ive ever read. im hating your content more and more every time i read it.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2013, 7:55 pm 
Rank 12: Headstrong Fighter Rank 12: Headstrong Fighter
Statistical Magus

Level 0

why would you invite him/her/they to review Chrono Trigger?

I know, actually know, that if he/she/it does review Chrono Trigger

you will frigging explode

like a broken star

there will be pieces of Reki Rage everywhere.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2013, 7:58 pm 
Noblesse Oblige

Level 43

because then lantis would step in with me and he would make me look like a tiny ant in his explode-y rage

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2013, 8:02 pm 
Rank 12: Headstrong Fighter Rank 12: Headstrong Fighter
Statistical Magus

Level 0

oh no

i'm sure 19 is quaking in his/her/it's boots at the prospect of Lantis/Reki combo rage~~

anyway i never did see Looper, but i saw it advertised on a bus at one point. i'm sure it was great. /shrug.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2013, 6:32 pm 
Rank 3: Studying Black Mage Rank 3: Studying Black Mage

Level 23

:lol :lol :lol

Oh, no! Lantis is gonna get me because I didn't like Chrono Trigger and dared to say a word against it!

Grow up.

Or don't. Doesn't really matter to me.

Regal gets a thumbs up. Stythe gets another "work on that insecurity".

Regal, you might like Looper. I didn't. That doesn't really matter. I'd say give it a chance if you have an opportunity to see it.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2013, 6:59 pm 
Noblesse Oblige

Level 43

yes, i need to work on my insecurity because you review things in the most ignorant way i have ever seen.

cool.

it's really not my problem that you write about things you don't even understand, and don't bother to try to understand in the context they appear in. all im doing is simply calling you on it, which is something you have to deal with in a public setting. which this is.

it also just so happens that i was quite careful not to lay any personal slander in my reply to you, but you couldn't grant the same respect. as such this thread is done and you receive a warning.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]