Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently September 22nd, 2024, 5:31 pm
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2012, 5:43 pm 
Rank 10: Cute Lil White Mage Rank 10: Cute Lil White Mage
At the Scumm Bar

Level 50

[b]
Part 1: Arthur Breaks the Law

[/b]

And here we are, the title screen. Notice Arthur's eyes, he doesn't seem too sure of himself. It's supposed to be a fun day, why is he so nervous?

Damn, we're not even at the gameplay yet and Arthur is already having a blast! Too bad his friends aren't having the same amount of excitement. Who gets that excited when the roller coaster is moving 1MPH?

Image Stealing tickets isn't illegal if you don't get caught.

Image This is bull****.

Aw, the Credits Coaster is over already? Anyway, here we are at...wait...the menu? This is the MAIN MENU!? The development team should have at least made the background a gradient color or something. Well, we can continue or start a new game. Do I want to ride the short bus or play Sim City?

I chose B out of curiosity. This has to be the simplest password screen in gaming. And God bless it, I played too many damn games that had tedious password systems. If I want to decipher puzzles I'll play a Sherlock Holmes game. But enough of that, let's look at some gameplay.

Image For the love of Buddha, get me off this bus.

As you can see we have a large amount of stars to collect before we can get inside the WonderWorld. Whoa, look how empty it is. Seriously, that's the sorta phenomenon you see in Horror movies! Where are the park visitors, clowns, and symphonic scents of overly expensive cotton candy? If the fear of desolation isn't enough, how about that roller coaster ride? It's being held up by ****ing toothpicks!

Ah, we see our hero ready to tackle the day ahead. This is the map screen where the mini-games are located. Instead of walking around we use Arthur's floating head to observe the town like a God overlooking it's creation. Apparently, Arthur has basketball on the mind. Let's try it out.

Exercise is important, kids. Not sure why Francine is standing there gazing at us with a peculiar smile but hey, let's show her some awesome Basketball skills.

Image ...

Image I hope you miss you cheerful basta-

Image Arthur, that was the only basketball I had.

Image So? Go collect some stars and get yourself a new one.

Surprisingly, the animation is pretty good but what's the point of moving around? The A button initiates a jump and the B button bounces the ball which results in nothing beneficial.

Damn it!

Holding the down button gives Arthur a new level of focus. Too bad it's also useless.

Holy ****, I made it in!

Okay, this mini-game is starting to get really boring. I'm standing in the same spot tapping the A button and scoring points flawlessly.

Seven points. You know what I noticed? No matter how many shots I miss, I never lose. Instead of giving you a penalty, the game allows you to waste as much time as you want.

Three more points later and I receive my first star. Do I feel like I've accomplished something? No. Judging by the image above, do I really have the desire to go to this amusement park? It's completely barren in a sorta creepy way. Well, think about it, when the only way to enter is by doing irrelevant tasks around the neighborhood you're probably not going to get many visitors. Park management is doing a lousy job but damn it, I'll be the first patron!

Image I don't care if I have to mug Mario for stars. I'm going inside that amusement park.

After impressing Francine with his ability to score ten shots in under thirty minutes, our constantly smiling hero visits a nearby home to-uh-cook giant stacks of pennies?

Oh Jesus, it's Arthur's grandma with an axe! Wait, no, it's a spatula.

Oh, we're making pancakes with Grandma....

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuun

Image Hmm, maybe placing my hand on the stove will get me out of this...

Acquiring the next star is done by properly making pancakes with Grandma. The A button flips the pancakes and the B button I have no idea. Similar to the basketball game this simple task has to be done ten times. I hope failing to complete this mini-game causes a game over screen that depicts Grandma yelling at Arthur for his incompetence. The likelihood of that happening is minuscule.

I'm having fun, seriously.

Image AHHHHH! IT BURNS!

Time to burn off those calories using the power of shredding. That's still a relevant word these days right? Next up is what appears to be a skateboarding mini-game! At a recycling center?

He's clearly trespassing! Even if he isn't he's riding a skateboard in an area that I assume does not appreciate such hooligan hijinx!

Image Breaking the law, breaking the law! Breaking the law, breaking the law!

Grabbing ten "berries" will reward us with the third star. How do you grab them? I have no idea. We're also avoiding the police, but we can't see them onscreen.

I'm not even joking I have no idea how to play this mini-game. I've been stuck for five minutes and haven't gotten a single thing. The controls are just ****ing slow and clunky. I apologize for swearing but SERIOUSLY. Ugh, A button does what I'm assuming is some sort of jump and B makes you go faster. What's the point of increasing speed when nothing in this mini-game provides a feeling of peril, OR CHALLENGE FOR THAT MATTER!?

Oh, god, this is almost as bad as Image

I got one! I somehow got a berry yet I have no idea how I did it. Honestly, I'm just holding the A button.

Just...four...more...come...on...stupid...berries.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH! Well, that was fun; wait, no it wasn't. With three stars and bail money ready we'll see what other exciting things Arthur's Absolutely Fun Day has ready for us in Part 2. I can't wait!

yesIcan

Last edited by Duel on December 25th, 2012, 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2012, 5:44 pm 
At the Scumm Bar

Level 50

[b]
[SIZE="6"]Part 2: Strawberry Fields[/SIZE]

[/b]

Hey, guys and welcome back to "Let's Play The Flintstones". Fred has had a long day of work and level 1 has us speeding to get home. Check out that iconic Yabba-Dabba-Do slide and the ominous background.

And similar to the majority of games back then, we're collecting pointless items scattered everywhere. Fred loves Bowling balls, and luckily for him they are in abundance.

Unfortunately, we're not here to play the Flintstones. We still have tons of stars to obtain for the free pass to WonderWorld. Welcome...back...to Arthur's Absolutely Fun Day. In our last adventure we witnessed our hero, the oh so beloved Arthur, do very boring activities such as playing Basketball and helping out the recycling center.

Image Haha, you really think I went to the recycling center to make the community a better place? Hell no, I'm in it for the stars!

After such strenuous activities nothing helps Arthur unwind like a visit to...the library?

Are you serious? This is part of your "Absolutely" fun day? Arthur's grand scheme is to do many different things for that coveted WonderWorld pass but what could he possibly do at the LIBRARY to get another star? I love how he's pointing at the building with anticipation. Let's not keep him waiting, let's go inside!

Image The only reason I'm going through the front is because I can't sneak through the back door.

Instead of attempting to steal the star, Arthur is forced into this mini-game where he has to take different books from captain douchebag and organize them by color. Why can't the guy in blue do this?

Image Alright, when he hands me a green book I'll knock him out and steal his star. Nah, too sloppy. Faking an injury could work.

This may be the easiest mini-game I've ever played. But, wait! Look at the timer! Yes, people, believe it or not you can actually lose in this mini-game. However, you're given so much time that losing is impossible. I'll show you what happens when you lose in a bit, I need to get this star.

Six books, yup. I always need ten to complete these mini-games..why ten?

Well, that's another star down. I hate myself. Let's see what happens when the timer ends.

Wh-wha? Okay, that's pretty ****ing creepy. If Arthur somehow fails his task the lights become dim and the characters freeze in place. Seriously, this is some creepypasta ****.

I'm looking over my shoulder right now. I'm spooked. Anyway, next up is a mini-game, a sweet one.

Because nothing is better than chewing tooth-rotting bombs.

I'm gonna go ahead and make a dumb joke. This is obviously a meth lab. Nah, actually, this is the same mini-game we did before. We just match the colors ten...yes ten times.

Each time I'm rewarded a star a piece of my soul is chipped away.

Oh, what is this, a strawberry eating contest?

No..no..no..nonononono. Please don't tell me this is actually a mini-game please. I swear if-

I am seriously at a loss for words. A feeling of sadness and confusion has swept through me. Can someone please explain why picking strawberries is a mini-game? It's also incredibly boring, Arthur is at his slowest here, taking his beautiful ****ing time. Listen, I'm not trying to hate this game and I'm not forcing this negative emotion. I just don't undertand. The controls are simple, the A button picks up Strawberries and the B button sets your basket down. Why the B button is used for that I have no ****ing clue.

This rabbit keeps following me...

Yes! I've picked six strawberries. Mario Party is nothing compared to this.

Six stars and I'm not even close to finishing this game. I don't know what we'll see at WonderWorld but it better be good. Anyway, I'm sure Part 3 will be filled with exciting daily activities! Maybe a rock-throwing mini-game? Laundry mini-game? Homework mini-game?

pleasehaveagamecrashingmini-game...

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2012, 5:47 am 
Rank 6: Potent White Mage Rank 6: Potent White Mage
Protector of Angels!

Level 18

You lose at putting books up on the shelf and it makes the library's electricity go out? ... Mmkay.

Lol at the Mark Wahlberg gif.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2012, 1:44 am 
Rank 9: Mischievous Thief Rank 9: Mischievous Thief
King of Heroes

Level 53

The electricity goes out because Arthur's incompetence can't help the librarian make the money to pay the light bill. Arthur is a f*ck.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2012, 10:06 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Why does Wanda look like she wants to eviscerate you?

PostPosted: December 11th, 2012, 9:44 am 
At the Scumm Bar

Level 50

[SIZE="6"]
Part 3: Aquatic Annoyance
[/SIZE]

Just wanted to show WonderWorld on the map. Anyway, welcome back everyone. Previously, we played more mini-games. They were terrible. Now we're going to play more mini-games. Which are probably gonna be just as terrible. Grab your eggnog, ugly reindeer sweater, or whatever festive stuff you have and let's dive into more Arthur! Woo.

Our first mini-game today features a bike. Unfortunately, it is not the BMX variety so we won't be doing crazy flips and thrashing sand everywhere from eager ramps. Instead...

We get to deliver newspapers! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!

This is basically a devolution of the classic game, Paperboy. As usual, the A button performs a required action and the B button is useless. In this case, we use the A button to throw newspapers at the South Park neighborhood.

Take that, South Park Elementary!

Here's something dumb, you can move your bike farther away from the houses which makes it impossible to score a point. What's the point of that?

Okay, four more to go. Wait up, what kind of fun day is this? How is being a paperboy contributing to our hero's overall entertainment for the day? When you think of a fun day does the thought of throwing newspapers at houses sound exciting? Every mini-game up to this point has been a chore! The game's title is misleading, not only to the player but to Arthur himself.

I wish I could say something witty or funny right now but I can't. That mini-game was painful.

With another star under his belt, our hero prepares for a race. Finally, a mini-game that actually sounds fun.

Uh oh, we're up against captain douchebag and his purple checkerboard kart. Let's see how he does against our Spider-man kart!

I'm not sure what Arthur used to build his kart but it controls like a malfunctioning tank. Your only strategy to win is to bump the opposing kart. However, if I crash into a wall my opponent will somehow get a speed boost.

Awesome track design huh? A wide lane with a single puddle. Due to the terrible controls, you're bound to accidentally hit these hazards pretty often.

This isn't as intense as you'd think. The speed these karts are going at is hilariously slow.

Okay, that's bull****. I hit a hazard earlier and all of a sudden captain douchebag pulls out some nitro and leaves me in the dust.

Great, I'm forced to do this again. Wait...what is that? Look at the third spectator to the right , do you see that?

What the hell is that!? That's not even an animal! It's some sort of disfigured beast watching the race!

I seriously cannot believe that we need EIGHT MORE STARS.

Time to find some treasure! Oh, and here is what happened to our purple checkerboard foe: Image

Oh my god, that face is frightening. I can't even describe what that...thing is. It looks human, but it's soul-stealing mouth is gonna give me nightmares.

Wow, Arthur is a pretty courageous kid considering there's a ****ing stingray a few feet away from him. This is actually a notable level, the animation Arthur has isn't bad and the music here is a bit...haunting.

Okay, where is the treasure?

Seriously, what am I supposed to be looking for here? That disfigured abomination could have at least given us a hint.

Oh, we're collecting garbage,

There is not a bit of challenge to this mini-game. You swim around picking up garbage. The developers didn't even try to hide the items.

Oh, god this is dreadful. I can't even do proper commentary because of the amount of boredom these mini-games are giving me.

**** it, I'm going to bed.

Last edited by Duel on December 11th, 2012, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2012, 10:08 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Image = Image ?

PostPosted: December 11th, 2012, 12:06 pm 
Rank 8: Adept Fighter Rank 8: Adept Fighter

Level 73

That is some creepy-ass underwater music. I don't think I'd be able to play this game for that mini-game alone.

1) Statement 2 is true
2) Statement 1 is false

PostPosted: December 11th, 2012, 12:15 pm 
At the Scumm Bar

Level 50

The faces in this game seriously creep me out.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2012, 8:34 am 
At the Scumm Bar

Level 50

[SIZE="6"]Part 4: Purgatory[/SIZE]

HEY, what a wonderful kind of day! Oh, sorry, this theme is really catchy. Welcome back to Arthur's Absolutely Fun Day. Previously, our hero swam through the depths of the ocean to collect garbage. Why? Well, because he's Arthur that's why. I don't know Arthur's age, but I'm wondering how worried his parents would be if they found out he went swimming alone. What an inconsiderate jerk. By the way, look what I have...

That's right, straight from the real WonderWorld called Las Vegas is the actual game cart. The Ebay listing lied to me, I was supposed to get the manual and box so I could review it. Whatever. Just in case you're wondering, I do NOT plan on destroying this cart. It's an overused gimmick. But, hey, what are we waiting for? It's Arthur's Fun Day, SO LET'S GO HAVE SOME FUN.

Our last mini-game is the most interesting of all. Up to this point we've thrown newspapers, played basketball, and helped our community through recycling. Finally, a hockey mini-game. Something that may actually be decent!

Yes, Arthur, we get it, that's a building you're about to enter. You don't need to announce every single thing you do. Look at that red thing in the background, it looks like a face. Pretty eerie.

ImageHey, Arthur, are you up for a quick game of air hockey?

ImageAll it takes is a swift blow to the head...that star is mine.

Okay, wait a minute. I haven't watched much of the tv show but isn't this rabbit guy Arthur's friend? Why can't he just give him the star? Arthur's dream is to enter the seemingly whimsical WonderWorld however his friend insists on dueling him in a game of air-hockey. I'm impressed, this mini-game is actually fun! The controls are terrible but the mini-game is suffice.

Unfortunately, the AI is terrible causing this mini-game to get boring relatively quickly.

After stealing the puck numerous times and beating his friend, our notable hero acquires his next star. That was the last mini-game, yet I haven't got all of the stars, what the hell?

Is this some sort of glitch? Where are the rest of the mini-games? Okay, I'll disregard that dumb library mini-game. I have a hunch, let's head over to the racing mini-game...

What...I have to play the same damn mini-games!? AGAIN? Does a game boy game really require padding out? It's a damn game boy game, you don't need to add pointless filler just to lengthen the game!

ImageArthur, I just got out of the hospital, do you like my Fantastic Four car?

I'm enjoying myself, really, I am. I love having to play extremely boring mini-games twice.

Just five more stars and we can end this game!

I suppose our hero can't get enough physical exercise. This seems like the movie Groundhog's Day. We're just repeating the same thing over again.

Huh? I don't see any changes in this mini-game. Let's see if I can still get a star out of it.

What a riveting experience that was. Seriously, WonderWorld better have the greatest video game ending ever. Metal Gear Solid? Heavy Rain? No, Arthur's Absolutely Fun Day is where cinematic gameplay flourishes.

The racing game again, I know, I'm sorry but we have to play this. The quicker I get these stars the better.

Image This is bull****.

Instead of looking at that, just watch this video. Yeah, Fast & the Furious, not a great series but who cares just watch the it. It's way more entertaining.

Three more, we're so close!

I hope the strawberry picking mini-game doesn't require a second playrhough.

Auuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

afkjadfkdkfskgfpsdngpejpkrpgkkldgskg

Damn broken images!

Ah, so playing the mini-games twice bumps up the difficulty.

I am literally falling asleep right now.

Hold up, let me rub my eyes. I can't believe it, one more star. ONE MORE STAR!

The difficulty hasn't changed.

Yes! WE DID IT. We have all of the stars! Join me in Part 5 and we'll see what's so special about WonderWorld.

[SIZE="1"]The pain is almost over[/SIZE]

PostPosted: December 25th, 2012, 9:39 pm 
At the Scumm Bar

Level 50

[SIZE="6"]Part 5: WonderWorld[/SIZE]

Sorry, I just had to share that. Who knew a cartoon like that could be clever? ANYWAY, hello everyone and welcome to the last chapter of Arthur's ongoing saga. Bust out the eggnog, we're ending this now.

Guys, we've done it. Arthur has traversed through the bull**** his friends and family wanted him to do, giving him access to the the prestigious WonderWorld. This will be the shortest part in this Let's Play, I'm expecting a horrible credits sequence and that's okay, I'm just glad to be done with this game.

Here. We. Go.

NO! Instead of getting a very anti-climatic ending we unlock even MORE mini-games! Look at the popcorn cart, is that a mini-game too? How about the tree? Maybe the popcorn mini-game has Arthur stuffing his face with kernels. I guarantee that would be a lot better than picking strawberries. I respect the amount of mini-games this game contains but come on, I'd rather have quality over quantity. Anyway, I'm guessing this is a air balloon mini-game. Let's hope we can take one and get the hell out of this park.

My mistake, this isn't...wait what the hell is this?

The A button shoots water at the target shown in the upper-right corner but from what I understand doing that does nothing. Well for me. I even mashed all of the buttons at the same time attempting to move...that air balloon...but met with no success. Just the look of this mini-game makes me scratch my head. Are we on a tower? Why are there small air-balloons that seem to control other air balloons? Here's a better question; how the HELL did these other people get into WonderWorld?

I decided to give up trying to manipulate air balloons with a water cannon. I just don't care, Arthur's Absolutely Fun day is leading me to the brink of insanity. I've never played a game with mini-games this bad. Our next attraction in this madhouse of wonders is the bumper cars.

Okay, not to beat a dead horse or anything but please have a good look at the image above. A sinister and limbless Arthur is staring at us with a smile even more sinister. Just look at that. He's peering into our souls and is aware of all of our sins. But, hey, let's actually play!

It's bumper cars, the basic bare-bones-straight-up-no-joke-around-it definition of bumper cars. There are no points, high scores, goals, or even ways to lose in this mini-game. All you do is bump into people. This seriously has to be the absolute worst mini-game of all time.

Pressing the B button emits this really annoying screech. Why? Who the **** knows. Most of the mini-games in Arthur's Absolutely Fun Day have at least one button that is totally useless. It's similar to that burp/flatulence button in GTA II.

How can this ****ing thing be considered a mini-game? It's not even a game, it's not even a form of interactive entertainment designed to help us escape from a grueling reality. I don't mean to go all AVGN rip-off guys, I'm seriously ******. I go through all that ****ing gosh darn ****ing bull**** star collecting and end up having to ****ing play more ****ing **** minigames that don't end. ALL YOU DO IS BUMP INTO PEOPLE. thats not a game. THATS NOT ANYTHING. WHY!!? I've spent hours ****ing writing this LP and sure it was fun at first but this WonderWorld is a slap to the face Not even kids would enjoy this though I doubt they'd have the patience to get 16 ****ing stars.

Bleh. I'm sorry, let's just move onto the next mini-game.

It's one of those mallet games you usually see at carnivals and amusement parks. So how do you play? Simple, press A and this might happen.

That's it. After that you get to do it again. There is no end to it. You can't lose and get nothing out of winning. Arthur is stuck in a true hell.

Uh, okay so apparently this is some watchtower mini-game? Mayan temple? No idea.

Oh, it's Skee ball. I'll be honest, this mini-game is not completely terrible. It actually looks somewhat decent too, graphic-wise I mean.

Too bad it's extremely boring. Don't be fooled by the score counter, the only thing you win is the feeling of being disappointed.

Here it is. The last mini-game. Look at Arthur's smile, I bet he's just as excited to stop playing this atrocity as much as I am.

Another common amusement park attraction. The clown in the corner will constantly taunt you while you try to dunk and drown him. I say try because the throwing mechanic in this game is slow and impossible to aim with any kind of precision. I've been at this for ten minutes and I till can't sink him. However, through trial and error...

The final boss (yeah I'm referring to it as the final boss) is defeated. By the looks of it, he's also dead. Nah, he climbs back up and you get to sink him for as long as you want.

That's it. The game is over. I'm trying to find a way to conclude this LP but without an actual ending--you know, A COMMON WAY TO LET YOU KNOW YOU'VE FINISHED THE GAME--I can only end this LP in the same anti-climatic fashion as the game. I'll leave you with this video.

PostPosted: December 26th, 2012, 8:21 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Congrats on finishing the game. I know it wasn't easy.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2012, 2:23 am 
At the Scumm Bar

Level 50

It really wasn't. It was actually hard to comment on this game the farther I played. Unfortunately, after Part 2 I feel like the LP dips in quality but eh, I gave it my best shot. I'm glad I never have to play this thing again, dead serious.

EDIT: I'm already on the hunt for my next game to LP :D

PostPosted: December 27th, 2012, 6:04 am 
Rank 6: Potent White Mage Rank 6: Potent White Mage
Protector of Angels!

Level 18

Great job, Duel. Looking forward to the next one.

And it may be cold comfort, but, look at it this way: you weren't playing Parasite Eve 3.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2012, 6:08 am 
Rank 7: Learned Black Mage Rank 7: Learned Black Mage
Mongolian Chop Squad

Level 63

That's the most frightening end boss ever.

PostPosted: December 30th, 2012, 10:37 pm 
At the Scumm Bar

Level 50

My next LP might be an MMORPG. I feel like playing an MMO for the first time and adjusting to it's world and rules would make for a decent LP. Although, the disadvantage of screenshot LPs is that you can't really do action games or battle-heavy games well.