Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently September 21st, 2024, 4:07 pm
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 1st, 2010, 9:02 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Too late... Sega already took them down.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2010, 4:12 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

Sega and Sonic is like peanut butter and jelly.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2010, 4:46 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

I disagree. Sonic only sucks because Sega does.

Ix and I had a nice little discussion of shared youtube vids showing fan made sonic games... all of which are better than what Team Sonic is doing. And honestly, Sonic is the most commonly fan-made game. As if it was the public say, "HERE! *rips Sonic from Team Sonic's hand as rudely as possible* I'LL do it. Geez!"

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2010, 12:14 am 
Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

http://www.tssznews.com/2010/04/01/afte ... franchise/

I haven't read it, yet. But it's pretty important from the title.

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2010, 9:56 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

404'd... probably an april fools joke.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2010, 10:57 am 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Well that's a bummer. It was an April Fools joke, but it was a funny one, written in a way that you couldn't mistake it otherwise.

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2010, 11:47 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Hahaha, hahaha! *gasp* Hahaha, ha.... ha.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2010, 1:09 pm 
Rank 9: Mischievous Thief Rank 9: Mischievous Thief
King of Heroes

Level 53

lol,that's all I can do.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2010, 6:03 pm 
Rank 7: Learned Black Mage Rank 7: Learned Black Mage
Mongolian Chop Squad

Level 63

That was an awesome trailer! Really puts things into perspective

PostPosted: May 27th, 2010, 1:52 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

PostPosted: May 27th, 2010, 9:31 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

You know, before the footage of the mine cart level, I had more faith in this game (albeit still wasn't much) than I had since Sonic Heroes. I was thinking to myself, "How on earth could they screw up Sonic if they go back to side scrolling."

After Sonic Heroes, that was pretty much my campaign: If Sonic Team would just go back to side scrolling, Sonic would be awesome again. Well, apparently I was giving them WAAAAY too much credit. I can see why they pulled off that mine cart level footage from youtube. I would only want people to know about it AFTER they had bought it.

But here, if you haven't seen it yet...

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/05/leake ... all-yours/

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2010, 9:34 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

At one point I actually saw them using the homing attack in a manor that looked interesting. They were swinging from vine to vine... left to right, but the next vine was a little higher up and to the left. So the guy over-swung the last vine on the right and homing attacked onto it so he was facing the other way (the direction of the next vine).

I dunno. That mine cart level still just leaves me with a nasty after-taste.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2010, 4:32 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Geez, looking at Sonic start running from a standing position makes the movement in the game look really clunky and chunky.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2010, 4:34 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

I completely agree. I'm assuming you can at least spin-dash to start off with some decent speed. But from a stand-still position, that is really really slow.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2010, 10:57 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

PostPosted: October 14th, 2010, 3:59 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

So guess what? The demo is out. And Ix and I played it the other night while in a party so we could share each other's first impressions. How'd it go? Well, first off the demo just covered the first level of the game. The level design was okay. Nothing to really complain about (if it was the mine level, I'm sure I'd have much more to say). Music? Nothing that's going to be remembered like the past Sonic titles have, but I can't really say anything bad about it. Graphics? Well, it looks really plastic-y. Like someone went into photoshop and applied the plastic wrap to the entire game. But I'm not going to count off much towards that as I don't think graphics shouldn't count that much towards games at all. Minecraft is new and the graphics are horrible... but it still rocks hard core. But I digress.

The gameplay however... that's another story. Here's where things get intersting. If you've read in the topic, it seems everyone noticed that Sonic seemed a bit sluggish. And we were thinking maybe that it wouldn't really feel like that in game. THIS COULDN'T BE FARTHER FROM THE TRUTH. The entire game feels like someone dumped invisible syrup over everything. I have never played a game were Sonic felt so slow. And I've always said that Sonic was more about momentum than speed. Well they did away with momentum. If you tap down to curl into a ball when going down a hill... he will quickly come to a stop if the hill levels out. If you jump while rolling... you stop almost immediately. Also, if you are launched into the air from a hill, you uncurl from a ball and fly with all four limbs out. If you touch an enemy like this, you take damage. Where in other games, you stay in a ball and kill whatever you land on. Why would you change that?! Also, the homing attack is exactly what we expected. It's an easy button. The enemies pretty much shouldn't even be there. You can just mash the jump button and never have to worry about anything. Imagine Mario if his fire balls homed in on enemies... that's kind of what it's like.

The only time Sonic actually FEELS like Sonic is when you are able to run uninterrupted for an amazing stretch of land... which doesn't happen that often. So most of the time you feel like you are slugging your way through invisible syrup. And this is the core game mechanic. The entire game is going to be like this. And it's already started... game reviews are stating once again that, "Sonic is back!" And thus the Sonic Cycle continues...

But don't take my word for it. The demo is out, go play it yourself... and then immediately delete it from your console.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2010, 4:21 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

I'll take your word for it, as I completely expected everything that you said ever since videos started cropping up.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2010, 7:49 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

This guy's physics review is good.

Sonic 4 sucks.

You can f*cking walk up a near-90 degree angle. That's retarded. More rant in next post.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2010, 7:56 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

Capcom said "Hey guys, we're bringing a classic-styled Mega Man game called Mega Man 9 to you guys!"

Capcom delivers Mega Man 9, which controls just like the classic MM2 and feels like it (physics all there) AS PROMISED, with new bosses and enemies, kick-ass new music (that sounds like the classic tunes) and new well-designed stages (which feature things that the NES could not do) which add a new flavor to what we've known Mega Man to be. Mega Man 9 stands toe-to-toe with the best of the Mega Man line of games.

Sega said "Hey guys, we're bringing a classic-styled Sonic game called Sonic 4 to you guys!"

Sega delivers Sonic 4, which DOES NOT control like the classic Sonic games and DOES NOT have the same tight physics of the classic line of games. This IS NOT what was promised. The stages and bosses are seemingly rehashed versions of what we had before (it's more of a remake than a main entry, from what I can tell), only done with less success. Most of the soundtrack is a weird psuedo-classic-ish style that is mediocre, at best, and fails to hit the right feeling that true classic Sonic music does (Splash Hill as it is decent, but geckoyamori does a MUCH BETTER JOB at making it sound like a classic Sonic song.). Sonic 4 can not hold a candle to any of the mainline Sonic games, as many of the replies in this topic seem to attest to.

When you compare MM9 to Sonic 4, the contrast is glaring, to say the least.

The people buying this game, when they can already see and acknowledge that the quality isn't up there and that there's been lie upon lie stacked to convince people that "classic Sonic is back", are baffling. I'd rather crumple up my $15 and eat it. How can you actively see that it's terrible, complain for months, and still give Sega your damn money? It feels like I'm taking crazy pills!

That said, I've already said goodbye to Sonic. I'm just watching everything unfold now. This topic is going to be the last one I post in because it's the last time I'll let my hopes get inflated by Sega regarding Sonic because I know Sonic 5 will just be Sonic 4 Part whatever.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2010, 8:23 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Who's your doctor, I think he gives me the same prescription...