Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently September 22nd, 2024, 12:28 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: February 27th, 2008, 9:48 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

Flag burning has been a hot-topic issue for a lot of people. Bills trying to outlaw it have failed. But a lot of people feel strongly about it.

Would you, yourself, burn the US flag for something you believe in?

PostPosted: February 27th, 2008, 10:16 am 
Rank 7: Learned Black Mage Rank 7: Learned Black Mage
Elf lover

Level 37

I don't see how would that solve anything, but on the other hand, I don't see flag burning as offensive as others, either.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2008, 12:08 pm 
Rank 6: Potent White Mage Rank 6: Potent White Mage
Keep it cool

Level 13

I don't see why burning flags has any effect on people. Personally I never liked saluting the flag or saying that stupid anthem in school. Doesn't make much sense to me.

People seem to strongly feel for flag burning for some reason. And for some reason, despite the fact I have no general feelings for it, I wouldn't.

My studio is Quixotic Productions! Check it!

PostPosted: February 27th, 2008, 12:29 pm 
Rank 12: Headstrong Fighter Rank 12: Headstrong Fighter
PSN/XBL: KaiserSosate

Level 0

Yes I would burn a flag, because it is just a flag. The KKK do it all the time.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2008, 12:47 pm 
Rank 9: Mischievous Thief Rank 9: Mischievous Thief
King of Heroes

Level 53

I wouldn't. People don't realize that the flag is a f*cking symbol of the country. Our military fights under that flag, and it's a lack of f*cking respect to them if we burn them. If you live in this country, at least show some damn respect. It may just be a flag to you, but there are people who fight for what it represents.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2008, 12:53 pm 
Rank 10: Cute Lil White Mage Rank 10: Cute Lil White Mage
At the Scumm Bar

Level 50

Not me. I would never burn a flag that represents my home.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2008, 1:08 pm 
Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage
At the Scumm Bar

Level 0

I'm with KA and DP on this one.

But you know.. I still throw old flags away. I had flags that got torn up bad in heavy winds and one that got wrapped around my flag pole then caught it self on the wing of the metal eagle and tore. :/

So I put it in the trash. Some people might think that me doing that is disrespect. But to me.. Its just something that broke that I can't fix. And like all things like that.. Its just another piece of garbage.

But to waste a flag that looks nice.. Is a waste. Because even if you don't want it.. someone else does.

And the above being said.. Us Americans are just that spoiled. We have plenty of nice things. Yet people want to burn things to make a point. There's people in starving
places that would sell stuff like that just to put food on the table. Or would use the material for a blanket.

There also use to be a lot of inhumane things long ago. Slaves, mass killings and pain. We should be very thankful that we have a flag to remember these things along with the constitution.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2008, 4:45 pm 
Heh, "user avatar"

Level 0

I would burn the US flag for a hobby.

^^

Just kidding. As much as my opinion is worthless here (me being, you see, not from the country in question), I'll say that I find it rather pointless.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2008, 5:04 pm 
Rank 3: Studying Black Mage Rank 3: Studying Black Mage
The Greatest Person Ever

Level 0

I would burn one for the hell of it. But the people around where I live would get all cranky about it, so I wouldn't do it because I care somewhat for my own well being.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2008, 9:15 pm 
Rank 4: Fighter in Training Rank 4: Fighter in Training

Level 0

flag burning itself has no effect over me, i really dont understand why people even bother doing it. it seems to cause problems and perhaps that the whole purpose to doing it. i personally wouldnt burn my canadian flag, i see no reason to spend good money just to waste it. i enjoy my country, but im not one to get bent out of shape just because someone else has money to waste.

symbolism is just that, its a representation, not a tangible object. its like christanity, we recognize the cross as the symbol of our faith, but we do not worship the cross itself, we worship what it means. the flag represents our country but it isnt destroying our country by burning it.

respect is a mater of society perspective, to different people things mean differently. id rather see our leadership put their time and effort to the activities that truly mater, not blow our good money to prevent people from doing something some find disrespectful.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2008, 9:54 pm 
Rank 12: Headstrong Fighter Rank 12: Headstrong Fighter
Statistical Magus

Level 0

@Ixz

of course not! who would want to burn a serviceable towel?

PostPosted: February 29th, 2008, 7:41 am 
Rank 3: Studying Black Mage Rank 3: Studying Black Mage
Spoony Bard

Level 0

im with KA on this topic.

PostPosted: February 29th, 2008, 8:44 am 
Rank 0: Magonian Apprentice
Spoony Bard

Level 0

I listen to Rage Against The Machine. It works just as well IMO.

PostPosted: February 29th, 2008, 11:27 am 
Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage
Spoony Bard

Level 0

@Everyone
Well, you need to ask your self this question. Sure the idea of your self burning your own flag.. But, how about someone who does not live in the US burning the flag.

Would you be ok with someone else burning your flag? And if "no" would those same feelings be able to be applied to your self?

PostPosted: February 29th, 2008, 10:02 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

I understand why people in other countries might burn the flag. It represents America, and to these people, the only America they see is the one that forces its will against them. The one of foreign policy, not the one of the actual people, per se.

I am not unpatriotic, but I would not mind seeing someone burning the flag, if only to show how serious and important the issue they're bringing up is.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2008, 12:10 pm 
Elf lover

Level 37

I don't think it's ok to burn anyone's flag. But I don't care enough about it.
Yes, the flag is a symbol. But it's just that: a symbol. And I don't think people should be fighting over what someone does or not do with a symbol.

Now, I live in Puerto Rico and here there are those that wants us to be the 51th state, and then there's those who wants to cut every bond we have with the US (and those who wants us to stay just like we are) and I've seen some silly but BIG arguments of politics arguing placing/taking out the US flag here or there. Or one side saying the other flag is worth nothing. And that's just sad.

Or maybe I'm just n the apathetic side of the coin.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2008, 8:18 pm 
Heh, "user avatar"

Level 0

I really hate saying that so bluntly on a forum based in the US, but... guys... you... you...

...you know that 'America' is a continent right?

^^

I just had to point that out.

<...>

I see where you're coming from, Ix. Quite clearly. Yup, the US we see the most is the foreign policy one. But (generally and not personally) I can't seem to get my hopes too high up about people who think they can call their country by the continent's name, bash a president candidate just because he didn't salute a flag once, and actually ponder if watching the freakin' news is a good move.

I'm sorry, I just can't. =P
I mean, generally.
Not meaning to offend anyone personally.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2008, 9:25 pm 

Level 0

Sorry Gnasher, but ask anyone in the world (not just the US) where America is and they point to the United States of America, not Canada, not El Salvador and not anywhere in South America. I myself don't like the fact that I am identified as a continent-an as opposed to a Brazilian, a Mexican, or a German, but United States-an doesn't flow, let alone United States of American.

The flag means differnent things to different people. I do not advocate universal meaning for any symbol including crosses, swastikas, nooses, or flags.

If I burn a flag, one would not necessarily know the reason unless I explained it. If one automatically assumes it is disrespectful, that's fine. But if one claims I cannot burn the flag without automatically being disrespectful (to something other than someone's INDIVIDUAL (albeit common) beliefs) then they are being dogmatic and invoking universal meaning.

If I burn a flag, I may be disrespectful and insensitive to other peoples believes and if they criticize me for doing it, they may be disrespectful and insensitive to mine (and others who agree with me).

EDIT: @Kittykicker, I sort of care if someone burns the flag in that people I know and care about would be offended or hurt (so it is not the flag burning, but rather the hurting of people I care about) but I also would be bothered that people I know could be hurt so easily (giving them some responsibility to learn to not care so much about what others think) and if I didn't know anyone who cared about it, I myself could care less what people do with a flag. The flag is not me. Now if they set me on fire that is a different story.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2008, 12:54 am 
Elf lover

Level 37

Anonymous (Bo) wrote:
Sorry Gnasher, but ask anyone in the world (not just the US) where America is and they point to the United States of America, not Canada, not El Salvador and not anywhere in South America.

That is a very sad truth. But while calling "United Statians" (you're right, it doesn't flow :lol ) Americans is not wrong, saying that Canadians and Brazilians and Mexicans are not Americans is still wrong, even if most of the people are not aware of it.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2008, 1:47 am 

Level 0

@Guarionex

True most people don't think about the fact that Canadians, Mexicans, and Brazilians are Americans, but it confuses the matter. As much as some may not like it, if one must say American to mean someone other than from the United States, it helps to preface it with "North", "Central", or
South".

So does this mean that the Mexican flag is an 'American' flag? :o

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next