Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently September 22nd, 2024, 12:32 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: March 4th, 2008, 4:06 am 
Rank 12: Headstrong Fighter Rank 12: Headstrong Fighter
Statistical Magus

Level 0

Anonymous (Bo) wrote:
Sorry Gnasher, but ask anyone in the world (not just the US) where America is and they point to the United States of America, not Canada, not El Salvador and not anywhere in South America.

Completely wrong. I know a fair few people who would stop to ask which the America in question was.

I suspect that not even every American would indicate the US when asked where America is.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2008, 8:22 am 
Rank 7: Learned Black Mage Rank 7: Learned Black Mage
Elf lover

Level 37

Anonymous (Bo) wrote:
@Guarionex

True most people don't think about the fact that Canadians, Mexicans, and Brazilians are Americans, but it confuses the matter. As much as some may not like it, if one must say American to mean someone other than from the United States, it helps to preface it with "North", "Central", or
South".

So does this mean that the Mexican flag is an 'American' flag? :o

I would say it is an American flag, (again, even if most people are not aware of it)
Now, I'm not saying we should start calling every one on the continent American. I'm just saying that if one of them says they are American, they ARE right. I'd just like everyone to be aware of that. even if it doesn't "change their ways"
(Because I'm among those who use American to refer to the US most of the time too)

PostPosted: March 4th, 2008, 10:48 am 
Rank 12: Headstrong Fighter Rank 12: Headstrong Fighter
Statistical Magus

Level 0

^ totally correct.

The use of 'an American flag' is plainly different in the context 'a copy of the US flag' to 'a copy of the flag of one of the countries composing North, South or Central America'. To call either 'An American flag' is however equally appropriate.

It's only confusing, tbh, if you let yourself be confused.

... i think this thread was about flag burning?

and lmfao @ the gnasher. don't go there, man. don't even start wandering down that dark and questioning road, however reasonable it may initially be to do so. It's a slippery slope, you'll eventually get recruited to some anti-US militia. =P

PostPosted: March 4th, 2008, 6:49 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

The Gnasher wrote:
I really hate saying that so bluntly on a forum based in the US, but... guys... you... you...

...you know that 'America' is a continent right?

^^

I just had to point that out.

<...>

I see where you're coming from, Ix. Quite clearly. Yup, the US we see the most is the foreign policy one. But (generally and not personally) I can't seem to get my hopes too high up about people who think they can call their country by the continent's name, bash a president candidate just because he didn't salute a flag once, and actually ponder if watching the freakin' news is a good move.

I'm sorry, I just can't. =P
I mean, generally.
Not meaning to offend anyone personally.

Yeah, I do know that America is a continent. And I do try to acknowledge the country as I can (hence US flag in the title), however, everyone in the US says "America". It is hard to change that.

Especially since we're about the only(?) country in the world with the name of the continent as part of its name (if omitting Australia, which is the full name).

PostPosted: March 5th, 2008, 2:20 pm 
Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage
Rainbow Crash

Level 0

Where's the world peace when you need it? lol

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2