Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently September 22nd, 2024, 7:46 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 14th, 2013, 1:27 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

I saw this on another forum and I figured it'd be fun to do here. The picture with the items is kinda big, so spoilz:

My choices:

5 million, 35 points

Full Kitchen - 6
I love cooking and being able to have unlimited ingredients and so much time would make me a master chef by the time I came out.

TV + cable - 7
The TV is pretty much required for videogames, so it's a lock. I don't watch cable, but at least it would let me keep up-to-date on present events.

Skylight - 2
Human beings need light.

All movies/shows - 4
All videogames - 4
Cable TV sucks ass. I'd rather have all movies and shows so I can see what I want when I want to. Plus videogames, duh.

Hygiene products - 3
Gotta be clean, y'all. While the dwelling has a shower, there's no soap.

Medical care - 2
Being by yourself and needing medical care for 10 years? Nah, ain't happening. Getting this.

Library - 4
Having access to unlimited books and the time to read them would be really fascinating. You could pretty much learn any subject and be a master when you got out.

Cell Phone - 3
Being able to talk to people on the outside, at least sometimes, would be a good positive.

So what about you guys?

PostPosted: February 14th, 2013, 10:12 am 
Rank 6: Potent White Mage Rank 6: Potent White Mage
Protector of Angels!

Level 18

Hmm, tough one, Ix.

Well ....

First, I would settle for $5 million, so I have 35 points to spend, right? (I don't see the point of staying in the basement at all for $0 million.)

1) Cell phone (could ALMOST do in place of the presence of a real person, but the only available option I could see having to do with a real person was just too expensive)

There's 3.

2) Hygiene and medical care, of course, for obvious reasons.

2 + 3 + 3 = 8

3) Library (Books are windows to the world, right?)

4 + 8 = 12

4) Skylight (for as a Protector I would go insane dwelling in darkness for so long)

2 + 12 = 14

5) Gourmet food (believe it or not)

9 + 14 = 23

6) Surround sound with all music (I cannot do without my brand of music)

4 + 23 = 27

7) Garden with greenhouse (I think gardening would be a nice hobby to take up during this time, and perhaps a water fountain depicting beautiful female angels could be included?)

2 + 27 = 29

8) The only thing left to afford is the desktop PC (that is, if emulators with a decent selection of ROM's is included on that)

6 + 29 = 35

Alternatively, I MIGHT trade the library, skylight, and PC (4+2+6) for the TV and all video games (7+4).

.... Hell, come to think I almost WISH this would happen to me.

.... The beautiful girl available for endless loving costs a bit much, if sex is all she's there for. Perhaps if she were also pleasant company that would make the time pass well, I would consider it, but I assume sex only is intended here.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2013, 10:48 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

I'm not taking the cut of 5mil. If I'm doing the time, I'm not going to talk half the original offer. Screw that noise.

I'm not sure why you guys would go with a cell phone when it can only be used once per week. Makes it pretty useless... specially when you can have the internet. Which is why I'm going with a PC/internet combo (doubt the internet would work without the PC, just sayin'). Skype, Google Hangout, and all that jazz will sill work. Roms/emuators too. Not to mention the Mag and all that. It's the absolute best connection to the outside world for the ten year time period. I Could still co-op LP with people and coordinate the races (it may say no streaming, but I assume you can still go to youtube if only to upload). My life is practically on the internet as is, so this would be a piece of cake. And I think I could cheap the system and get people in Google Hangouts to screen share videos for me. Honestly, I don't see how anyone could go ten years without a solid outside connection with the internet.

I threw microwave in there because nothing in the original paragraph stated that the basement comes with food. The microwave does. Hygiene and medical care... because in ten years you are bound to get sick or have complications.

PC - 6 points.
Internet - 16 points.
Hygiene - 3 points.
Medical care - 2 points.
Microwave and food - 2 points.
Gun - 1 point.

The gun is just because I had a point left and it was the only thing for one point. Maybe I can use it to shoot whoever "forced" me into this. Asking me would have been preferable.

PostPosted: February 15th, 2013, 3:41 am 
Rank 6: Potent White Mage Rank 6: Potent White Mage
Protector of Angels!

Level 18

I really got to ask. Is there ANYONE here who would choose the hot girl?

I mean, over half of your available resource points just for sex? Pshww.

PostPosted: February 15th, 2013, 4:59 pm 
Rank 8: Adept Fighter Rank 8: Adept Fighter

Level 73

We are all nerds that have gone without sex long enough that 10 more years means nothing to us.

1) Statement 2 is true
2) Statement 1 is false

PostPosted: February 15th, 2013, 7:45 pm 
Rank 10: Cute Lil White Mage Rank 10: Cute Lil White Mage
At the Scumm Bar

Level 50

Haha, why is Barry Bonds on there? Well, I guess he would provide awesome conversations.

PostPosted: February 15th, 2013, 9:16 pm 
Rank 1: Untrained Thief Rank 1: Untrained Thief
Meh.

Level 3

full kitchen, 6
hygiene, 6+3=9
doctor, 9+2=11
books, 11+4=15
phone, 15+3=18
skylight, 18+2=20
greenhouse, 20+2=22
tv, 22+7=29
pool table, 29+1=30

Reasoning: A man's gotta eat. After 10 years, microwave dinners and fast food would probably frak you up big time. I've always wanted to learn how to cook, so having unlimited ingredients (and good ingredients) would be amazing. Plus the bonus that some recipes include alcohol (there is a Belgian dish where it says "Pour one bottle of beer into the pot and one bottle into the cooks stomach"), so that makes the 5 point full bar useless.

Hygiene. Showering without soap and such would be pretty terrible, even if you could make some yourself (with the kitchen ingredients). Plus a jacuzzi bathtub would be pretty fantastic.

Doctor. Definitely needed. Go 10 years without being sick? Yeah, right. I wouldn't upgrade to the Mayo Clinic doctor because eh, they would be good enough. Bonus in the fact that it's someone to talk to if you get desperate.

Books. Of course books! I love reading, and having no internet/anything else and just having time to read would be great. You could learn a lot too, or just use it as a way to escape.

Phone. I wouldn't want to go 10 years without speaking to anyone. Even if it only worked one day a week, I could call my family, keep up with everyone, etc. It says it can only be activated one day a week, and I assume that it follows the rules of everything else and would be continually top of the line. Thus, I could definitely Skype on it, go online, etc. It'd be worth it. I assume I'd know the day it'd work, so I'd stay up all 24 hours that day to take full advantage, talk to people around the world, etc.

Skylight. I ain't going 10 years with no natural light. Even though it says it's a basement, I'm assuming it's a house I just can't get out of, seeing as how it's a skylight. I assume the skylight would be cleaned (probably by robots) to make sure it always works, so the light would say all 10 years. It would help with vitamin D, as well as keeping me mentally healthy, as my depression tends to get worse when there's less light. I'm hoping the basement would be someplace where there are all 4 seasons, but it's warm enough in summer to feel the heat, etc.

Greenhouse. It'd give me something to do, and give me something else *alive*, especially if I couldn't see anything through the window. Good source of exercise (instead of the gym), gives more space (I'm assuming the basement isn't *terribly* big), and would be a nice place to relax.

TV. For when I don't feel like doing anything productive. Watching cable would keep me updated with pop culture for when I get out, and just gives something to do. It also would have human voices, for when I get lonely on the non-cell phone days. There are reruns of movies on most channels, news to keep me up to date on the world, music channels, etc. I also assume I could make some publicity stunts (MADMAN STAYING IN ROOM FOR 10 YEARS FOR MILLIONS OF DOLLARS), so I could get the local news to have my family and friends come on on my cellphone days, so I could see them and take questions from people.

Pool table. Something to do. I'd totally be able to swindle people out of money at bars after the 10 years.

As for why I didn't do some of the things: Internet is too many points, and seeing as how I could use it on the phone once a week, it isn't that worth it. Skype and such would be nice every day, but I would have to basically give up everything besides the essentials. A dog would be wonderful, but it wouldn't be fair to them. Even if the greenhouse is big, it's wrong to keep a dog caged up like that. Video games would be nice, but again, it's 10 points since you'd need the computer to play them on (unless they came with their system; ie: if I got a 3DS for those games, a TV I could only use for the games, etc) and it was same with the movies and tv shows (a tv included), I'd get them both swapped out for the TV alone and the pool table.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2013, 6:28 pm 
Rank 7: Learned Black Mage Rank 7: Learned Black Mage
Noblesse Oblige

Level 43

Hmm.

I'm gonna be a bit different.

I want my full 10 million, so 30 points.

I'll take:

Full kitchen (6pts)
Library and study (4pts)
Garden with greenhouse (2pts)
Stunningly attractive 18 year old (18pts)
---
30pts

I'll come out of this rich, smart, and able to cook anything. So many points on the bachelor meter.

Also, sex. Because fapping for 10 years doesn't seem very appealing to me, and currently I DO have sex quite frequently so going from that to none would be quite poopy.

Hygiene products aren't really that necessary. The most important would probably be toothpaste, but if I use only naturally occurring ingredients in my meals then it's not necessary. Tooth decay is a by-product of our modern-day eating habits. Also, I haven't had a single medical problem in far more than 10 years so I can do without medical attention.

I would, however, like to be able to choose the girl myself. I would be pretty displeased with the one shown, as I tend to find north american/european women unattractive. Asian please.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2013, 11:33 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

testingbalh

PostPosted: February 17th, 2013, 5:55 pm 
Elf lover

Level 37

Lantis, you could have chosen to pool table instead of the gun. :P
Ok, I'll use 30 points and keep the full 10 millions.

Full Kitchen: 6 pts
I must day I looove fast food, but if I'll be alone for 10 years. I'll have plenty of time to experiment, and maybe learn to eat healthier!

library: 4 pts (+6 =10)
I enjoy reading. So why not?

hygiene tools + jacuzzy 3pts (+ 10 =13)
Water! And cleanliness. And water!

workout room 5 pts (+13 = 18)
Working out relaxes me. And I'll need plenty of things to do to keep myself busy, why not something healthy?

medical care 2 pts (+18 =20)
I know I'll need it at some point

Skylight 2 pts (+20 = 22)
I don't want to become a mole person!

surround sound system: 4 pts (+22 = 26)
Another source of enterteinment. I can listen to music all day, every day.

video games 4 (+ 26 = 30)
I'm a gamer! I need games!

I'm pretty sure I can live without watching TV. And I can catch up with any show I used to watch when I'm 10 million dollars richer!
And I definitely don't need the attractive young hoo-er... girl.
I'm going to be cut from human contact since I left phone and internet... but hopefully I'll be able to play online.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2013, 1:20 am 
Rank 5: Nimble Thief Rank 5: Nimble Thief
The Thread Necromancer

Level 0

Location: Out there. In that place. You know, with the "thing"
O.K.

Taking the whole thing so I got to work with thirty...

oh boy....

Well, let's start with the basics.

I'll take the computer w/ upgrades. 30-6=24

Internet is 16 points, but has been rendered fairly useless, IMHO, as what got taken away is pretty much all I'd use it for... So...

I'll take the cable equipped 52" TV w/ all the stations unlocked. 24-7=17

I can live on TV dinners as long as there is a variety, and this thing never said I can't have that, so..,

I'll take the Microwave/Food package deal for 2 points, thus: 17-2=15

I'll want to know day from night I suppose, to easy to loose track of time otherwise. 15-2=13

Did you know that you can hijack a cable signal to get on the internet? No? Well you can, you just need the proper tools...

I'll take the DE-LUXE Workshop with all the fixin's for 6 points. 13-6=7

Free, unlimited weed? Um, DUH. Need to keep my sanity by letting it run off every now and then...

Unlimited drugs for 5 points. 5-7=2

I got 2 point's left, and since I'm eating super salty microwave dinners, and hitting the burning bush so much, having that doctor probably wouldn't go a miss. I can't go for the upgrade though, but I'm sure the basic model is more than adequate. 2-2=0

So there. that's what I figured I'd bring.

(Thought: If the 18 year old woman has to spend 10 years down there with you, what's to say she didn't get the same deal? Maybe she had some slightly different options but others were the same. Going for the girl might actually be the power play here, because you can mooch off the basics SHE picked. And remember, even if her human companionship option cost 18 as well, between the two of you you'd still have 24 points to spend.)

All Of The Above Statements Have Been Given The Staffmaster Seal of Approval. Have A Nice Day!!

PostPosted: February 20th, 2013, 3:17 pm 

Level 26

@Lantis - You realize that that internet you got allows 0 downloads and no streaming... Have fun with that buddy. You have no video games (didn't take that option) and you can't download any good ones.

-----

Here's mine.

First off, 5 million is more than enough for me, so if I'm doing this I'm going to do it with what I want. Screw surviving without some stuff for 10 years for more money when I'm already getting a crap ton.

Stunningly attractive 18 year old (18pts)

I would go crazy and kill myself if I didn't see another human for 10 years. More than likely anyways. Human companionship is a must for me. Plus... sex. Why would I choose to live without it? o.O

Full Kitchen (6pts)

Microwave and fast food wouldn't cut it for ten years. Screw going for the gourmet, after 5 years I'll be a good enough cook to be very pleased with anything I produce. Anyways, this would be a massive time sink. Love this choice.

Library (4pts)

This is amazing. I'd almost just do this period for this right here.

Surround System and all music (4pts)

Almost as good as the library.

Medical care (2pts)

Required.. Ten years? Yeah, definitely going to need this.

Pool table (1pts)

I had one point left and I love pool. Plus... well, I'll just not mention that.

---

Pretty much everything I could want. Not really worried about the hygiene products. You have a shower. Even if they didn't provide basic soap it's easy enough to take care of yourself without (or use the unlimited ingredients to make your own. Lye and oils are both cooking ingredients).

Wanted the weights and the booze, but I can live without them.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2013, 3:29 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Kajakfaucon wrote:
@Lantis - You realize that that internet you got allows 0 downloads and no streaming... Have fun with that buddy. You have no video games (didn't take that option) and you can't download any good ones.

No one said I couldn't just copy them from my current computer. In fact, I'll take the slightly downgraded PC I've got now versus a brand new one anyways. Besides, they couldn't possibly mean a computer with absolutely nothing on it and no way to PUT things on it. There would be no point.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2013, 3:52 pm 

Level 26

Lantis wrote:
Kajakfaucon wrote:

No one said I couldn't just copy them from my current computer. In fact, I'll take the slightly downgraded PC I've got now versus a brand new one anyways. Besides, they couldn't possibly mean a computer with absolutely nothing on it and no way to PUT things on it. There would be no point.

If that's the case then I'm assuming basic amenities come with the shower and toilet and stuff (i.e. basic soap and toilet paper)

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2013, 9:26 am 

Level 0

30 Points:

6, Full Kitchen
4, Sound & Music
4, Library
2, Healthcare
3, Hygiene
6, Workshop
2, Garden
1, Pool Table

I could also use the excuse to learn to cook, and I can only assume the kitchen would have some alcohol products stocked for beer batter, wine sauces, pecan pies, and the like. The TV/Movie combo simply costs too much, and cable isn't worth my paying for with actual money, so books and tunes it is. Healthcare/hygiene, yeah, a workshop to muck around in and I would be fine working off my surroundings with body weight, so assuming I can improvise a pull up bar and jog in the garden, I'm good. The garden is there for sun and soil, something to dig my toes into. And my pool game has really fallen off in the past few years.

Alternatively, I prefer sex to masturbation and I don't want my balls to fall off:

18, Sex Object
6, Kitchen
4, Library
3, Hygiene
2, Doctor
2, Garden

PostPosted: February 25th, 2013, 12:05 am 
Rank 3: Studying Black Mage Rank 3: Studying Black Mage
The Greatest Person Ever

Level 0

I've been trying to figure this out for a couple of days, but there are certain things not mentioned that makes me have trouble deciding. It never says whether or not people can come and visit you (with the exceptions of those you spend points on.) If people can come from time to time then the sex crazed could skip the 18 year old all together and go with the internet for less points. After all, anyone that says they have never wandered onto a naughty site and see adds about hooking up with singles is lying. So you could theoretically have more options with partners, if sex and not companionship is what you want. Also whether or not someone can visit also influences the decision on getting a cat/dog. While the cat wouldn't be as much of a problem, who is going to walk the dog? You sure can't leave the basement to do it and animals have the urge to poop. Also animals need medical care too and I doubt that would be bundled in with our medical plan. Not to mention the damages a teething puppy will do to your things. On the food options, it does not mention the quantity of the gourmet food to be delivered. This would be the real deciding factor on whether or not I choose that or unlimited food ingredients. Most importantly, 10 mil for 10 years seems to be pretty damn low, seeing as you could potentially win one mil on a thirty minute show. Probably my last little issue is with the silly option to half the amount of money you get in order to get only 5 lousy points. That seems unnecessary. Hmm... perhaps I've over analyzed a hypothetical situation.