Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently April 27th, 2024, 9:24 pm
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2006, 10:33 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Name of Game: Secret of Everyone
Name of Creators: Lantis, Eagle Vison, Sang Yung, Cleff
System: RPG Maker 1
Type: Demo
Genre: Traditional
Rating: Teen

Description:

Once every week four college students would meet and have a night to get away from all that life can throw their way in seven days. Everything goes on well till they notice one of their friends ends up missing quite a bit. Upon their realization, something unexpected happens: They get caught up in a fight with an unknown person who knows more about them than they think. Amidst the battle they get taken from their peaceful life to another world. Now lost and confused, the three must try to get back home and regain their lives. To do this, they must find the Secret of Everyone.

Originally this game started out just like every RPG Maker newbie first thinks, "Wouldn't it be cool to be in my own RPG." Well, that never seems to be a good idea. No one really cares about a story that involves inside jokes and plots that only the person it is about will comprehend. Unfortunately that's how we started off on our game. But we have corrected this by re-mastering the game. We started completely over two years after it was completed. Through a bit of hard work, we have truely come up with a wonderful storyline that should keep any RPG fan interested. Plus, the New Game + mode gives SOE a wonderful replay value.

Release date: :sigh

Screenshots:

^a little dark but this one's background has a cave so that these tentacles look like they are reaching out of it... Will post more upon request. (note to admins: Request for preview has been posted.)

Last edited by Lantis on April 6th, 2006, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2006, 9:48 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

Thanks. I have it now.

This is also a great-looking submission! Thanks for putting time into it. :D

PostPosted: March 21st, 2006, 11:07 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Thank you very much. I've put more time and thought into this game than anything. I believe that you'll enjoy it. In issue 3.1 you said you wanted someone to make an RPGM1 game with the proficiency of Square Enix. I think that you'll have something that is pretty darn close once we are done.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2006, 2:05 pm 
Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

That looks impressive. Nice to see somebody putting real effort into RPGM. Hopefully it'll add to the small list of "good" RPGM1 games.

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: March 21st, 2006, 3:00 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

That I can promise you. I've played pretty much every RPGM1 game up to date about 3 months ago. I know for a fact that we've got them beat (not to dis anyone's work for I consider everyone here friends). One thing that has bothered me with most RPGM titles is the text. Bad grammar and cliched storylines.

Eagle Vision (William) is working on text alone. He took my storyline and perfected it. He has written his own book (not published). He printed it out from his computer (about 100 + pages) it was sigle spaced and had size 10 font. Sadly his hard drive crashed and I missplaced the copy he gave me.

But I tell you... You won't have to worry about a dull storyline or bad grammar at all. The storyline is really deep. A whole 15 block scenario is almost all text (we are going to try to keep the game around 10 memory card, but by the way it looks.. we'd be lucky to keep it that small)... But be warned, his style of writing is a bit formal. If you've played the demo then you get a small bit.

(The demo, I have to appologize. The way we are making SoE is doing JUST the storyline. Focusing all our attention on getting the story out will be the best way to make it the must enjoyable. Then we will go over the entire game again focusing only on battle. That way we can spend all our time making sure stats match up, bosses are to easy/hard, and change up things in battle so it doesn't get old. So the demo has crap for fighting so it's nothing to go by.)

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2006, 12:48 am 
Rank 0: Magonian Apprentice
"The worst pokemon."

Level 0

Wow, sounds like an overwhelming project to have taken on. This is possibly the first RPG Maker game I have seen that has been made by over 2 people. :o

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2006, 10:36 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

lol, yes. Actually there are more than 4 ppl working on it... though some alot less active than others. Mainly its me, Eagle Vision, and Cleff... Sang yung has just about dropped out of the project but thats no skin off our back. Everything goes through us three.

This game's production will be two years old by mid summer. But it's kind of hard when I'm a full time computer tech, Eagle is a full time college student, and Cleff lives in another state. But Eagle is my room mate so it's not like we don't see eachother. We are finishing up the 5 scenario memory card and are almost half way done with the game... not including going completely over the game tweaking battle once finished with the story.

Heh, the funny thing is... the title "secret of everyone" was really a joke to beggin with. Eagle thougth I said secret of everyone once while talking about secret of evermore. We thought "well, is it really a secret if everyone knows it?"

What we are working on is really a second swing at it. We botched the first secret of everyone. We just kept the strange name. Oh and don't ask about that either. You could play the whole game off of two memory cards. I did all the text and it sucked bad. But we never would be working on the remastered SOE if it wasn't for it though...

PostPosted: March 26th, 2006, 3:05 pm 
Rank 7: Learned Black Mage Rank 7: Learned Black Mage

Level 0

Ah, I've been waiting for something.....................
And I'm still waiting for this game Lantis, and, if it sucks, I'll kill you for all the anticipation you've given me so far.

I just have to find a new dex-drive now.

Also, you have reminded me of how I've done absolutely NOTHING on Wherever I May Roam over the last month or so...............................
It's pathetic when I think about it.

So, I'm going to get back on top of my game, and that means I have to start pestering Ixz about my ftp again...............sorry Ixz, but I do.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2006, 10:21 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Best of luck to you on your game. I'm looking forward to yours as well. But I promise you it doesn't suck. The only downside is that there is maybe a little bit more text than what RM1 users are used to. I'm talking like Xenosaga, without the voice acting...

I've decided to start keeping track of production.

http://www.rpgmmag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1638

I'll start posting pretty much everthing there. Any questions and comments are welcomed...

PostPosted: March 27th, 2006, 1:58 pm 
Rank 10: Cute Lil White Mage Rank 10: Cute Lil White Mage
At the Scumm Bar

Level 50

now i feel like im not good enough to make a good game like you guys.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2006, 2:30 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

You can't think like that. If you need help with anything, just ask us. We will have no problems helping you out.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2006, 6:52 pm 
At the Scumm Bar

Level 50

you're right :)

That game looks good i bet it plays good :D

Good Luck

PostPosted: March 27th, 2006, 8:07 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

There's nothing wrong with long cutscenes, so long as something happens to them. In my earlier Slayers' Reign demos, I had a few long scenes where the characters just stood in one spot to talk the majority of the time. This doesn't mean that they have to be fighting in every scene of course, but looking/walking around while talking helps.

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: March 28th, 2006, 1:40 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Oh yeah... I know this.

I didn't want to leak out everything I do in a scene, but I'll go ahead: If you notice when you program a text box and another right after it, when it plays, it all reads as one box. I didn't like that specially when more than one person was talking. So I put a 0.0 wait between every person that talked. That makes the text box close, then open with the new person's text. Also, I took the time to make the whole party disappear in every scene and make events for each character so that they can move depentanly. From here, I made sure they walk around and at the very least turn to the person they are speaking too.

That's just a few aspects

PostPosted: March 28th, 2006, 9:06 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Yeah, cutscenes just aren't as interesting if you do them like they did in Gobli.

As for how text boxes appear merged, I really don't mind that happening. Actually, I've found that stringing all the text in a single text box command takes less memory than separating them. An important detail if you want to put more in a single scenario card.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 10:33 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

I'm not worried about data size over quality. If it adds just the slightest bit to the overall greatness of the game, then its worth every byte.

But when I mean, alot of text... I mean ALOT of text. In one scene I had to put a save point about half way through when 30 minutes rolled by. But we have lots of visual aid. And so far, eah dungeon (about 8 or so) are very unique in their own way. I really think that it will keep the game fresh and free of monotony.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 9:28 pm 
At the Scumm Bar

Level 50

so lantis is the game serious? to me the game looks like a dark serious game. or is is bright with some humor but a lot of serouisness?

PostPosted: March 30th, 2006, 2:08 am 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

You trying to avoid sample dungeons? To me those things stand out against custom maps, and in a bad way.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2006, 10:12 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Duelpro wrote:
so lantis is the game serious? to me the game looks like a dark serious game. or is is bright with some humor but a lot of serouisness?

It's hard to be too serious with the 2D graphics that are available. You can't have someone clenching a bleeding wound while gritting their teeth in anger. It's about as serious as it can get though. But like all RPGs there are times with a little humor to them. Mixing it up seems to keep the game going.

Draygone wrote:
You trying to avoid sample dungeons? To me those things stand out against custom maps, and in a bad way.

I use both. Some puzzles I wanted to make just couldn't be made within pre-made maps. I do, however like using pre-made because of how much better they look than anything custom. But when you have around 20 dungeons total (give or take a few) you kind of have to think outside the box. I use more custom than pre-made...

::edit:

Also, I don't mind using a sample every now and then because a sample takes only 21 bytes of data where as most of my customs take anywhere from 3000 on up...

PostPosted: April 4th, 2006, 11:59 pm 
At the Scumm Bar

Level 50

wow thats kool.

anyway are you going to put any sidequests?? you know quests that dont involve the story, and u get rewards out of it.

for example, a construction worker is afraid of a cave he is working on cause of a monster there, and once you kill the monster the worker gives u a weapon or item.

this adds variety to the game and something to do.