Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently April 28th, 2024, 11:10 pm
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 7:22 pm 
Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Quote:
I'm also going to note as an aside that many of the 14-19 year old students I've been teaching cannot write in standard english nowadays. They can't even spell 'great', or 'laugh out loud', because all they write is 'gr8 lol'. they've no idea how grammar works. Honestly, they're barely literate. I assume that this is a wider problem than text language, but the fact that gr8 is all they know is... unfortunate. For them, most of all.

On that note, it's probably safe to assume that you (as well as other teachers) deduct from their grade when they do use leetspeak. Therefor implying that outside of text messaging, these words should be spelt properly. But even in text-messaging, it should only apply with phones where the only method of typing is with the number pad. If it's got a keypad, there's really no excuse.

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: March 14th, 2011, 1:35 am 
Rank 5: Nimble Thief Rank 5: Nimble Thief
The Thread Necromancer

Level 0

Location: Out there. In that place. You know, with the "thing"
Here's a crazy thought: the whole idea of texting in the first place. DUDE! YOU ARE HOLDING A PHONE! CALL THE BASTARD, IT'S PROBABLY CHEAPER ANY WAY!!! :shakefist

All Of The Above Statements Have Been Given The Staffmaster Seal of Approval. Have A Nice Day!!

PostPosted: March 14th, 2011, 1:40 am 
Rank 7: Learned Black Mage Rank 7: Learned Black Mage
Noblesse Oblige

Level 43

^ Obviously has never had a cell phone plan, or bothered to do the math.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2011, 6:43 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Actually, I'm on Staffy's side. Outside of trying to send secret messages without anybody noticing (also, sending images), the concept has seemed pretty silly to me. And yet, I've done it anyway. I guess it's kinda convenient when you only want to send quick messages (e.g., "I will be there at 8"). But to hold an entire conversation? Just call them.

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: March 14th, 2011, 6:59 pm 
Rank 9: Mischievous Thief Rank 9: Mischievous Thief
King of Heroes

Level 53

Texting is like instant messaging. In a sense, it's being used in the same manner. A cell phone is like an IM/call service, unlike a home phone that only receives calls. Now with smart phones, we can facebook each other, skype each other (iPhone I know has it... not sure about the others) and whatever else. Times have changed, as have the methods of the days of old. You can call if you want, or you can text. Plus, depending on your plan, calling can actually eat your money away faster than a text. The plans you purchase with your cell phone provider can dictate a lot. You can choose to go for unlimited texts, a bunch of minutes, and what have you. I f unlimited minutes are an option, they are infinitely more expensive than unlimited texts. It's less data being used. You may not agree with the methods, but that's how it is these days. Kinda like how people use the internet to find people to date.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2011, 7:10 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

I've never had any issue with how people use the internet (aside from illegal activity, of course). And I'll admit, the iPhone and similar devices are really cool, and I have no problem with all the features they include. An iPhone is more than just a phone. But I look at my old-fashioned phone, and see the stuff like texting and crappy retro flash gaming more a gimmick (for lack of a better word) than a primary feature. I know, I've got weird opinions.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2011, 7:37 pm 
Mongolian Chop Squad

Level 63

You know what really grinds my gears? People that can't leave their religions at church. I'm not religious by any means and I thank my mother for allowing me my freedom in that regard as I grew up. I don't believe in any all powerful being and when someone who disagrees with my point of view finds out, it is as if I just shoved diarrhea covered vomit into their mothers face. "How could you?!" followed by "you are wrong" followed by "no!" whenever I try to say anything else. It is as if I am guilty of something horrible and have to be on the defense.

I also believe that religion is dangerous in a technological age. Example: Bush administration, Iran's current administration, and then of course those without political power that still have backing of the people because they are righteous and have guns. Do you ever hear of organized militias and armies with no governmental backing that go around killing people because they disagree with their religious beliefs?

In all of history, what's the number one reason to go to war? Religion. When people are willing to die for their beliefs, that is noble. When they are willing to kill for them, that's cowardly.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 5:26 am 
Rank 6: Potent White Mage Rank 6: Potent White Mage
Protector of Angels!

Level 18

Quote:
When they are willing to kill for them, that's cowardly.

Yeah, Insulta! Preach it to 'em! :rockon

PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 7:41 pm 
Rank 12: Headstrong Fighter Rank 12: Headstrong Fighter
Statistical Magus

Level 0

insultobot wrote:
I also believe that religion is dangerous in a technological age.

Here was I thinking that technology was dangerous.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2011, 8:45 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

Something that grinds my gears are pushy atheists. As a religious man, if I notice something good happening to someone, I might say "God's been good to you." I might receive a response like "Ha, I don't believe in God" or something more derisive. Or atheists calling people stupid because they believe in a higher power and acting, ironically, holier than thou because they're more "enlightened" and don't believe in religion, etc. But the way I see it, the faith that God doesn't exist in atheists is just as strong as the faith that He does to religious folk. It is faith, no matter how you look at it.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2011, 9:22 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Actually, I have a friend of whom is very Atheist. And he knows full well that I am Christian. We get along just fine. We don't try to push one's opinion on the other and we respect the other person's belief. We can debate over a few things without getting upset with one another and we even crack a few jokes here and there.

One example of this is when we were talking about how rotten the Westboro Baptist Church is. I made the comment that I kind of felt bad for him as when they die that's it. But for me, they are getting what's coming to them.

Oh, the last week I had about three instances where I'd stop at an intersection with someone right in front of me. The light would be red, but they'd be signaling right. And never turn until it turned green. This is an intersection in which I turn right as well. I know it only tacks on like a minute to my time on the road, but it really does get to me when people can't understand how to drive.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2011, 11:07 pm 

Level 0

I don't own a phone, but from the times that I have I can speak to my distaste for texting in general. Mostly I disliked how freely people made use of it in my general direction, for little to no reason. The language could annoy me in as much as it pervaded other areas of conversational exchange not solely based around efficiency, or (as noted) doubles back upon itself to render the exchange inefficient by an excess of 'efficiency'.
When these two couple the gears grind because you have someone who is attempting to have a free-form, casual conversation in both broken and poorly composed English that might go back and forth for an hour or two if you respond.
Much as I can be testy with phone calls, I am only interested in actually engaging you in conversation on my phone when you are calling it.

My personal contribution to the grievance list would probably be apathy.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 11:37 pm 
Elf lover

Level 37

What grinds my ears? People. Specially those I called good friends or best friends for the past 5 to 8 years, and suddenly stopped taling to me because of what a single person thought of me.

How do you call those people? Sheep? Closed minded fools?

Also, prejudice. It sucks when you're the one receiving it.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 11:43 pm 
King of Heroes

Level 53

Professors that claim to be on your side and will do what they can to help you, then when you ask for a little bit of help, they decide they don't want to help.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 1:36 pm 
Call me Bon

Level 22

Physical rioting over sports games.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 10:40 pm 
Rank 0: Magonian Apprentice

Level 0

Hearing teenagers talk.